Saturday 6 February 2010

Dale Chihuly

No one and I mean no one, has even seen glass work as brilliant as what Dale Chihuly can produce. He is an American artist, born in 1941 and lives and works in Seattle, Washington, USA.

On one level, Dale Chihuly can be lauded for moving the Studio Glass movement from its original premise of the solitary artist working in a studio environment to embracing the more established modus operandus within the art world of collaborative endeavors and a division of labor within the creative process. 

However, Chihuly's contribution to the field extends well beyond this. His practice of putting together teams of artists with exceptional glassblowing skills has led to the development of complex, multipart sculptures of dramatic beauty and scale that place him in the leadership role of moving blown glass out of the confines of the small, precious object and into the realm of large-scale sculpture and environmental art. In fact, Chihuly deserves much of the credit for establishing the blown glass form as an accepted medium for installation art and, hence, for contemporary expression in late twentieth and twenty-first century art generally.

But do link through to his website to see what amazing glass work that he has created.

Today we were able to see some of his work at his gallery at Resorts World Sentosa. I will do another blog posting within a few days on pieces that we saw today, but one piece in particular stands out that I will share with you now:

 



you got a cool $406,634.89 to spare?

[ that is $286,000 USD ]

No? well then check back in a day or so and see other beautiful pieces that he and his staff have created that cost a little less!


3 comments:

cajunsis said...

Wow! I reminds me of some pictures I have from the Bellagio on Las Vegas. Beautiful! I wonder if he made those? I will have to scout around and find out :-)

cajunsis said...

Lol... how funny...

http://www.chihuly.com/installations/bellagio/

Anna Soh said...

Hi! I am staying in Singapore and yes, I do agree that Dale Chihuly's works are absolutely exquisite. I have a 10" Cinnamon Macchia glass piece and it is beautiful. You can't go wrong with owning his piece of art, however, there is another artist whose works I think are just as good: William Morris.